Sunday, January 24, 2010

Please Don't Go Girl -- New Kids on the Block


Tell me you'll stay
Never ever go away
I need you (I need you)
I guess I always will

Please don't judge me internet . . . Every once in a while I like to relive the days of my youth (except the middle schools days because, let's face it, middle school sucked lemons). These guys and their bubble gum lyrics help me do that.

I was a huge, and I do mean HUGE New Kids, or NKOTB, fan. At one time, photos of the band from smuggled Bop, Bopper, Seventeen and Teen, magazines were used as wallpaper in my room. I had the pillow, the pillow case, the tapes, the buttons, the tour jacket, the posters, the teddy bear, and the official membership in the New Kids fan club. I wrote to the boys, who never wrote back because I am sure they were all fighting over me. . . let me live the dream. I literally drove my mother crazy with the music. I was somewhat of an outcast in my school for liking these guys. Everyone else was into "real" music groups like Pet Shop Boys, Survivor, INXS and Guns 'n Roses, but I was all about the Kids.

My favorite was Joe . . .I mean, look at that punum there. When he did this song, he had that sexy high voice (damn puberty for taking that away from me). He just is too cute for poetry. Donny scared me, Danny was just there, Jon was a fantasy of an older man sort (if I am being completely honest, he made my tooshy tingle just a bit but he was into Tiffany and I could not compete), and Jordan could make my toes curl with the falsetto . . .but I was lost to Joe.

This is my favorite of their songs, primarily because of the Joe starring role. Lets face it, the lyrics are average at best, and boy band trite to say the least, but oh they spoke to the young and starstruck me. I used to play this over and over and over singing to the lyrics and imagining that Joe was in my room singing to me.

When I finally got to see the guys in concert, which is a story for another time, I lost my voice screaming for Joe while he was singing this song. Sadly, he probably never saw me in the crowd that night, what with the thousands of other screaming fans who had the audacity to come to my concert. But he sang this for me and only me.

His girl still ain't gone. She may be a bit older, and somewhat (being generous here) more mature, but the song and the memories can still cause tooshy tingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment