Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Listening History

Anyone who has seen the movie "Julie and Julia" will relate to me on this one. I dare you to watch that movie without immediately trying to find a way to create a unique blog. You can't do it . . .I swear, it is like the images on the screen trigger some latent writing gene to wake up and smell the exclusive rights.

Well, I admit it . . .I have been searching my overly stimulated and undernourished creative brain for something to make me unique in the blogisphere and after not too much thought I had an idea.

Something that has always been a constant for me, even in the worst of times, is music. I cannot live a day without hearing music . . . any music (except muszak because that only reminds me of the dentist and that makes me want to hide in a dark place). There are so many songs that inspire me, cause me to pause and remember the times past and generally just get my groove going into overload.

My Ipod is a constant in my life. I cannot even remember what I did before the mini-apple of my life . . . Oh wait, that's it . . . I made mix tapes and then mix CD's. Ah, there was nothing so sweet sounding as hitting record to try and catch my favorite songs as they came on B100 or any of the other radio stations of my youth.

Anyway, thanks to the Jobs man and his minions I now do not have to rush to hit the record button when "Eye of the Tiger" hits the airwaves. Nor do I have to fumble through mutliple CD catalogs to try and find the exact Yanni song to fit my mood.

Consequently, I have, probably, the worlds most interesting playlist of all time. I mean, who else could possibly have Sarah Brightman side by side with Eminem. Each and every song holds some memory or feeling for me. Music is my link to the past, the key to my memories, and a lifelong companion.

So my new idea is to use my Ipod music library to record my history. As often as I can, I will use the Ipod to select a random song from which I will concoct a posting. It may be a memory, a thought, or just a random passing of eloquent nonsense. No matter what, it will be interesting, honest and all me.

Let the tunes begin . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment