Friday, January 8, 2010

A Pirates Life For Me -- Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean


We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do-well cads
Drink up me hearties, yo ho
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads
Drink up me hearties, yo ho

Ok, well, I had hoped there would be more time before we got into full blown confession mode, but the Ipod has other ideas. It wants me to admit that I, a supposed adult, am totally, completely and utterly ENAMORED with all things Disney. I am a super fan of the House of Mouse. . .I even have gone so far as to purchase art that previously hung in the Disneyland Hotels. Seriously, my walls overfloweth.

When I was about 4 or 5 my parents started a new tradition for my birthday which is in early September. Every year, right before labor day, we would go on vacation for a week. The first three days were spent at the Disneyland Hotel and in the park . . . The rest of the week we spent in Big Bear. The three days at Disneyland were always like a bribe to get me ready for the rest of the week at Big Bear. I got car sick every year going up the mountain and I learned to hate the drive and, by default, the destination.

But those Disneyland days were magic for me. I have so many memories from those trips. I got my first Barbie at Disneyland. I used to love those large multi-colored suckers that they sell all over the park . . .much to my father's frustration when the sucker made a "reappearance" on the drive to Big Bear one year. There were years of stuffed animals, most of which I still have, and clothing of the unique Disney variety. I had birthday dinners with the characters, and for a couple of years we were able to get into Club 33 (the uber super secret, sort of, private club located above the Pirates of the Caribbean ride) for lunch or dinner.

Pirates of the Caribbean has always been one of my absolute favorite rides. I love the sights, sounds, and (surprisingly) the smell of the ride. Because it is a water ride, in the dark, there is a sort of dank and musty smell to the ride that is forever the Pirates smell for me. Smells are big memory triggers for me. No matter what, a musty, dank smell will always remind me of riding in the dark past the fabled, and cursed, pirate treasure.

Having some of the Disney soundtrack is a fun, and budget friendly, way for me to be close to the house that Mickey built. I can listen to the pirates, and for a moment, I am in New Orleans square, looking for the booty and trying to avoid being sold as a wench at auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment