Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sound of Silence -- Simon and Garfunkel

"Fools," said I, "You do not know
"Silence like a cancer grows."
"Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed in the wells of silence.

Those who really know me probably would question what I know about the sound of silence. I like to talk . . . whether people like to listen is a topic for debate at the highest levels.

In all honesty though, silence is something I am familiar with. I can be, in equal measures, very devious and very vulnerable when I get quiet. Dave's first warning sign is normally my silence, for it is pretty stark when it hits. What I don't often say is that, for me, the silence is just as important, just as loud, as the talk. We can learn so much in quiet.

Sidebar here -- Have you ever noticed that some of the most intelligent, outgoing and gregarious people can often also be the quietest? If they are anything like me, it is because there are times when they crave the precious resource of peace and silence. Silence is restorative at its most basic, but it can also be a powerful path to any number of ends.

I consider myself to be a smart person, but sometimes song lyrics just do not make sense to me. The lyrics to "Sound of Silence," for the most part, go right over my head. Except for the passage that I quoted. I can see how silence can eat someone whole and leave nothing behind. But I also see how constant noise without its peaceful counterpart can be just as empty.

Communication is so integral to our social structure, but it is amazing how bad we can be at this very fundamental skill. Books and lectures have been written, seminars conducted, millions of dollars have transferred hands, but in the end we, as humans, can really stink at talking to each other.

In my opinion, basic as it may be, it is because we forget that God gave us (yes I am going there) two ears but only one mouth. We need to listen twice as often and twice as well as we speak. So much can be avoided through active listening, and really hearing the words in their context as delivered. If we put half the money we have spent into listening seminars, I think we would be a lot better off.

Words can mean so much, but the silence can be just as instructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment