Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Standing Outside the Fire -- Garth Brooks

Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

I found Country music in college. I was a hard core, pop rock, high hair, trendy and boy band crazy fiend all through middle and high school. Then I went to St Louis, and a couple of my friends turned me onto the Country music genre.

I was forever hooked, much to my family's dismay. I started talking with a twang and saying "y'all" constantly in conversation I had the boots, the hat, and the tendency to frequent the stuff-kickers bar, otherwise known as Stampede, on the weekends. I mastered line dancing, and I tried to become proficient at the two step . . . for which I will eternally remember the men whose toes were sacrificed in that fun pursuit.

Garth Brooks was HUGE when I was in college, and there are so many of his songs that I love. This one speaks to me from the lyrics to the video. It is, at its most basic, about not letting life go on without you and not being afraid of the scrapes, the scars and most of all the adventure.

There is a point in the movie The Holiday where Kate Winslet's character talks about being the master of her own life. For a long time I lived to fulfill the expectations of others. I was afraid to step off the path that had been set before me . . . education, a stable job and a predictable path. It has only been in the last decade or so that I have learned to make life mine.

It is so much easier when the only map you follow is your own. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful to all the people who have pushed me to succeed, but I am so very happy to be choosing my own paths now. I stopped asking permission and I started asserting myself and speaking to my feelings and emotions. It is so empowering to know that I do not have to be afraid of having thoughts, feelings and emotions.

If I want to jump into the fire, the only person I need to check with is myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment