Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sarai Quii -- Sarah Brightman


La mia luce accendi tu
E sai perche'
Io mi sento forte
Solo grazie a te
Tu sarai sempre quii
Tu sarai sempre quii

Have you ever had music literally move you to tears? Sarah Brightman's music has always had that power over me and it continues, to this day, to be some of my favorite audio stimulation for any situation or circumstance.

Like many others, I first discovered Sarah Brightman through the brilliant work of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom. Her voice just inspires . . .there is no other way to explain it.

I was all but a pesky kid when I first heard the Phantom score. Until then, my music scope was limited to the great works of Michael Jackson, REO Speedwagon and, of course, New Kids on the Block. This was a departure from the norm for me. Seriously, musicals were for old people, like my parents, and those who walked with their noses at a permanent 45 degree angle. Not for a youngster with a penchant for bubble gum and boy bands.

But I can remember hearing "Think of Me" for the first time and feeling my eyes fill with tears. I had never heard anything so beautiful or moving. I couldn't understand the lyrics, the thematic meanings or the significance. . . I only knew that listening to the music made me feel like crying and moved me more than words could express. When I finally got to see the stage show, I seriously cried throughout the entire show. Can't explain why, I just did.

Over the years, I have continued to follow Sarah's music evolution. She certainly has come a long way from Christine. When the Symphony album came out, I can remember being in a bookstore and hearing it over the audio system . . .Well, the predictable happened, and I ended up sniffling in the Romance section. Three kleenex and two CD's later (gotta get one for Mom too), I was on my way. I think I must have listened to the CD no less than 8 hours straight when I first got it. . .Rarely, if ever, do I find an album where every track moves me.

Sarai Quii is, without a doubt, my favorite song from the album . . .and no, not just because the man on the duet, Alessandro Safina is an Italian Stallion of the first order. Even in Italian, a language not in my personal repertoire, the song carries tremendous meaning for me. I don't know the English translation, and frankly I don't need to. I just know it is good music, and even now, I still need kleenex when it comes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment